AMERICAN UNIVERSITY OF ANTIGUA MEDICAL SCHOOL (AUA)




Hey my friends! I've finally gotten around to providing you with information regarding the medical school that I will be attending in the Spring. The name of the school is American University of Antigua (AUA) and it is located on the beautiful island of Antigua in the Caribbean. AUA has been around for 13 years which could be considered new when you compare it to other Caribbean and US medical schools. The program and curriculum mirrors US medicals schools seeing that they require the same premedical courses, MCAT test, letters of rec, transcripts and interview.

STUDENT BODY AND START TIMES:
Majority of the students body at AUA are US citizens and are minorities (super awesome). AUA has 2 different start times (many call it rolling admissions). You can start in February which is when I am starting or in August, which is the traditional start time.

AUA PROGRAM:
The program itself as I stated before mirrors US medical schools and is also completed in 4 years. You will complete your basics sciences on the island of Antigua and then you will return to the US to complete your two years of clinical rotations which is a plus! AUA has affiliations with hospitals all over the US including Georgia, my hometown! :)

AUA PROGRAM COST & LOANS:
The tuition at AUA is one of the cheaper programs when compared to other Caribbean and US schools ($20K a semester roughly). As I stated in my previous post, AUA is accredited in the US (California and NY) and they participate in the William D. Ford Federal Direct Unsubsidized Stafford and Grad PLUS Loan programs both of which are administered by the U.S. Department of Education.

AUA HOUSING:
AUA offers student housing which all first semester students must stay in. After the first semester you can live wherever you like. The housing is located off campus but from what I have heard it is literally around the corner from the school. Students that are bringing a spouse/loved one and/or children to the island can apply for a housing waiver to stay off campus but let me tell you... it was very hard for me to obtain one since my reason for moving was due to my 2 baby doggies. AUA does not allow pets in student housing which caused issues for me (another story). So let me say this again if you have pets try your best to find family for them to house with because it was HARD AS HELL TO GET A WAIVER!!

There are other things such as flights, bringing pets to the island and what to bring to the island that I will discuss in another post. :) As always if you have any questions, feel free to email me or drop a comment below.

Kay R.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LIFE ON THE ISLAND

*IMPORATING YOUR PET TO ANTIGUA*

ARRIVED!!